Friday, July 26, 2013

Why I love, We love Roleplay -

Sorry, no pictures today. I've been terribly busy with work lately, but today's post isn't about pictures anyway, it's about the amazing creators and shoppers in SL.
When I got the invite from Arica months ago to We Love Roleplay I was excited, not only because I'm a roleplayer and I love to shop, but because I was opening up a new brand with Dreamy. We both started making RP clothes because we saw a lack of them in SL, at least a lack of them that fit our vision of what they should look like. Over the past six years we've transitioned over multiple genres and our store has always reflected that. You can tell exactly what sort of RP we're doing currently based purely on our designs. 

But what I've noticed, because of We Love Roleplay is the lack of not only male clothes, but that there are only a handful of graphic artists who are even doing this anymore. You used to be able to list off tons of stores that catered to it, but as SL changed, so did the business makers. It got harder. A lot harder, to make clothing. 

So I decided to do something about it. In the coming weeks, you're going to be seeing some changes with the store, and with this blog. 

First change? Men's clothes. I promise to post pictures as soon as I finish them, but in the next round of We Love Roleplay I'll be releasing some men's jackets. Soon, I'll be releasing my very first original mesh design - and yes, it's for men. It's not nearly as awesome as some of the other designers out there, but I'm getting there. Every time I work on it, I learn something else. I get a little bit better. Learning Blender has been a year (yes, a year. Off and on, but still a year) in the making. I don't profess to be an expert. There are a LOT of things I still don't know, but that will come in time. 

The next part, will be some tutorials on this blog.
Maybe I shouldn't say tutorials, because it'll likely be "Tips and Tricks"
There are already a zillion tutorials online, but I will post links to them.

I feel like I need to pay it forward for all the help I've been given in learning the craft over the years. I can't tell you how many times Dreamy has heard me rant and rave when my seams won't match up. Now that I've moved on to mesh, I've had some other designers do the same. Neph from Muses, and Anke from DDD spring to mind. They were more than happy to answer questions, no matter how silly they ended up being. Both have been amazingly supportive. You can find some of their amazing work at We Love Roleplay.

You, my customers and blog followers, have been just as awesome. When I talk to you, you're always nice and supportive, and always giving me great ideas like "I wish I had this -" and although what I create next may not be exactly that, you can take pride in that you inspired it.  

So... a big thank you to We Love Roleplay for inspiring me, and a big thank you to everyone who has helped me/listened to me complain/fed me wine.
Much love.


HERE ARE SOME AWESOME MESH TUTORIALS: (All of these are for blender, btw)
If you are new to Blender, start here: Blender Noob to Pro
Yes. It's tedious sometimes, but you WILL need to learn a lot of things in this.
If you're willing to spend the money, get Avastar. It makes rigging a LOT easier:
They also have some great youtube tutorials:
I recommend looking at Gaia Clary's youtube channel.

No comments: